Thursday 13 February 2014

Review: Evertrue by Brodi Ashton

Evertrue (Everneath #3)
Author: Brodi Ashton
Pages: 368
Publication Date: January 21, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray


Now that Nikki has rescued Jack, all she wants is to be with him and graduate high school. But Cole tricked Nikki into feeding off him, and she’s begun the process of turning into an Everliving herself... which means she must feed on a Forfeit soon — or die.

Terrified for her survival, Nikki and Jack begin a desperate attempt to reverse the process using any means possible. Even Cole, who they expected to fight them at every turn, has become an unlikely ally — but how long can it last? Nikki needs to feed on Cole to survive, Cole needs Nikki to gain the throne in the Everneath, Jack needs Nikki because she is everything to him — and together, they must travel back to the Underworld to undo Nikki’s fate and make her mortal once more. But Cole isn’t the only one with plans for Nikki: the Queen has not forgotten Nikki’s treachery, and she wants her destroyed for good. Will Nikki be forced to spend eternity in the Underworld, or does she have what it takes to bring down the Everneath once and for all?

In this stunning conclusion to the Everneath trilogy, Brodi Ashton evokes the resiliency of the human spirit and the indomitable power of true love.



If it wasn't for my exams, I would've finished this novel the day it came out. Ever since, I read the previous novel, Everbound, I've been dying for the next one to come out. Believe or not, Everbound had one of the best cliffhangers I've ever read. Never in my reading experience, have I come across a novel that surprised me so much. You wouldn't believe how close I was to pre-ordering Evertrue. Thankfully, I saved myself money and burrowed it from the library.

When I received the notification that Evertrue was ready to be downloaded onto my iPad, I was squealing. Words can't explain how much I loved the first and the second book. Ashton brings a special take on Hades and Persephone. The only book series that is quite similar to this is the Abandon trilogy by Meg Cabot, but I wouldn't recommend that one. Compared to Abandon, Everneath has a more well-rounded plot than Abandon where the plot is non-existent. I mean, there is a plot, but I felt like the plot is more visible in the second book, Underworld. Not only that, the characters in Abandon weren't half as good as the ones in Everneath. But after completing the series, what the heck did Ashton do to her characters?

I used to love Jack, but once the symptoms of a possessive and jealous boyfriend started to appear, my liking of Jack soon began to die down. To me, I  felt like Jack had one emotion in this book and that is anger. Where was the sweet Jack in the first and second novel? The only time I remember him being sweet was the last page of the book.



This what I feel like doing to Jack. Hitting him with my purse and hopefully, knocking some sense into him.

Another character I was disappointed with was Cole. One of my favourite villains ever. Manipulative. Evil. Cocky. But extremely hilarious. He brought humor into the series which made me want to go on. Not only that, his love for Nikki was quite heartbreaking. I knew from the beginning that it was going to Nikki and Jack, but I always wondered where Cole was going to go. Once I figured it out, I was completely shattered. Literally, the gif below explains my feelings. My heart couldn't take it.


One of things that I didn't like about this book was that it lost its humor. It was funny at some parts, but overall, it didn't have as much as the other books. Cole lost his memory, meaning that he lost his cocky side. I admit cocky jerks aren't attractive, but compared to Jack, Cole had more substance than him. Nikki and Jack were sweet and cute and some cases, too lovely-dovey. But the interactions between Nikki and Cole were so entertaining. 

I left my books on my desk and followed Cole out of the room. I grabbed his arm and started to pull him toward the courtyard. Nobody would be there. We could talk without everyone starting.Cole let me pull him, saying loudly, "Lead on. I like a who-"
 "Shut up."

 
 Or better yet this was even funnier. 
He clapped his hands together and rubbed them. "That's the best part. The mother bird is the Everliving who holds your heart.
The Everliving holds my heart. Cole stole my heart from my bedroom two weeks ago. He'd said there special perks for the Everliving who held it. Cole was the mother bird? I closed my eyes.
"What does that mean?"
"It means I am your only source of survival." His face broke out into a wide grin. "I wish Gavin was here. I'd have him give me a drum roll."
"Stop playing games. Tell me."
He raised an eyebrow, gave me a devilish wink, then grabbed me and kissed me. 

I could go on and on but I wouldn't want to spoil the whole book. Overall, the conclusion to the Everneath series was disappointing. Even the last page didn't sit well with me - beyond cheesy. Though it didn't meet my expectations, I would still recommend this series.





No comments:

Post a Comment