Monday 24 February 2014

Mini Reviews: Awaken (Abandon #3) by Meg Cabot & The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) by Rae Carson


Author: Meg Cabot
Pages: 343
Publication Date: July 2, 2013
Publisher: Point 
Rating: 3/5 stars

The final installment of the Abandon trilogy, Awaken brought a decent conclusion to the series. If you've seen my review of the first book, you've known that I had a rocky start with this series. Abandon was terribly slow and lacked plot and suspense. The second novel, Underworld was my favourite of the series. Meg had finally brought in substance and meaning to the novel that left me wanting to read Awaken. When I finally recieved the notification that Awaken was ready to picked up, it was the first book I read out of the twenty books that I had burrowed.

I liked the romance in Underworld, but after finishing this one, I realized that I, in fact, despised it. Pierce didn't have the guts to say I Love You to John so she repeatedly kept saying it in her head. I can't explain to you how much this annoyed me. For the most part, I kept yelling "just say it already."

As for the ending, it was okay. Nothing stood out. As I'm writing this, I don't even remember how it concluded. But luckily for my notes, I still remember bits and pieces.




Author: Rae Carson
Pages: 423
Publication Date: September 20, 2011
Publisher: Greenwillow
Rating: 2.5/5 stars

If I hadn't received an ARC of The Bitter Kingdom, I would've never started this trilogy. When I first read it in August, in hopes, that I'll be able to finish the trilogy by the time the last installment is released, I didn't expect to be so completely bored. I DNF books all the time. Simply, because if I don't enjoy the first hundred or so pages, I put it down. But this one, I really wanted to stop reading it. But I also really wanted to read The Bitter Kingdom ARC so I pushed through it. And boy, was it torturous. Funny thing is that I haven't even finished the second book.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns holds a unique and creative premise, but the plot wasn't satisfying. It didn't appeal to me at all. But once I passed the three hundred page mark, I started to get into it. This may be good that I finally started to enjoy it, but also bad for the fact that it took nearly half of the book for me to get into.

I've started the second book. The Crown of Embers, but I have no plans of finishing any time soon.












No comments:

Post a Comment