Monday 26 August 2013

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass (Hourglass #1)
Author: Myra McEntire
Pages: 390
Publication Date:June 24, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA



One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?

Hourglass had a fantastic start, but it turned disastrous as the story progressed. Our main character, Emerson sees ghosts. Her brother, Thomas has hired many people to help solve the problem, but none seem to do the job. Until he hires Michael. Emerson soon starts to develop feelings for Michael, of course, as their meetings start become more frequent. However, Thomas clearly spoke to Michael that Emerson is off limits. No pleasure or personal affection should be involved.

I liked Emerson - I really did - but what I didn't like was that she was so clingy towards Michael. She wanted to know where he was, who he was with, why hasn't he come back, etc. Her mind was constantly on about Michael. And I think that was the reason why I didn't enjoy this much as I wanted to. To be honest, I wished Michael was out of the picture. I didn't like Michael at all. Period. In fact, I prefer Kaleb over Michael, even though Kaleb and Emerson were going a little too fast. 

Overall, Hourglass has its ups and downs, but I will definitely continue on with the series because I seem to enjoy the time travel aspect to this. 

3/5 STARS



5 comments:

  1. I felt much the same way about this book and the relationship between Emerson and Michael. Kaleb is Wonderful! You should definitely continue the series so that you can read his story. :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, there's more to Kaleb? Aaaah! Can't wait (: !

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you reviewed this. I've seen a billion--okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but still--new posts about Infinityglass. I wasn't around the book blogging world when this particular book came out so I have no clue what people truly thought about it. The summary and cover were very enticing. But if the MC is overly clingy and you didn't like the boy? I definitely think I'll have the same problems. I hate when an awesome sounding premise turns into a novel about a relationship. Plus, I hate clinginess and reading about that would probably drive me up the wall. Thank you for your honest review! I'll probably wait to see what you think about the rest of the series before starting this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen new posts about Infinityglass, too! I tried to like the love interest, but reading about him through Emerson's narration made him come off as annoying. I don't have high hopes for the next book, but hopefully it'll be better than this one. You're welcome (:!

      Delete
  3. I actually really enjoyed this book! But the second book was definitely better!
    I really liked Emerson and Michael. Mostly because Kaleb is just perfect for the person he ends up with!! I really need to read the last book, but this was definitely a fun series!!! Glad you liked it for the most part and thanks for the great review!! :-)

    ReplyDelete